Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Design Team Throwdown #2 at Smeared and Smudged

Good morning all! Today I'd like to share with you a wall plaque that I made for the Design Team Throwdown #2 at Smeared and Smudged. This is the second round of the challenge that my fellow Drunken Stampers are competing in. Haunted Design House won the first round so they picked the theme for round 2, which is faux finishes. I stepped way out of my comfort zone of card making and came up with this wall plaque:


Here are some close up shots:


My faux finishes are the cracked glass technique, and the gold antiqued frame. After I stamped and colored Frankie, I heat embossed 4 coats of clear embossing powder over him. Then I put him in the freezer for a couple minutes, took him out and cracked the image. I went over the image with Walnut Stain to make the cracks stand out more. Holy Crow! This was wicked fun to do! The chipboard pieces are actually from two different albums that I had. For the frame, I painted it black, and when that was dry, I used gold chalk ink and rubbed it over the frame with my finger to give it that antique look.


For the larger piece, after painting the edges black, I covered it with some green patterned paper, stamped the bats and lace on it and inked the edges. Then I covered it in Mod Podge. Printed out my sentiment, cut out the words, doodled around them, and inked the edges. Used some foam dots to pop them up. Added red rhinestones and black flowers, and finished the wire with some ribbon.

I had a freakin' great time making this, and I'll definitely be challenging myself to 'think outside the box' and create other non-card items!

So, here's the thing. Each design team posts their three creations on the Smeared and Smudged DT Throwdown forum.YOU can vote for the design team who you think should be the winner of this contest! You DO have to join the Smeared and Smudged forum to be able to vote, but it's free and totally worth it! Voting starts tomorrow. I hope that you join and cast your vote for the Drunken Stampers team!

Make sure you stop by Jessi's and Spike's blogs to see what goodies they created! Thanks for stopping by and have a fantabulous day!

I'm also going to enter this in Moxie Fab World's Fall Home Decor Challenge!

Chris

Supplies:
Stamps: Craft Smart (Frankie); Unity Stamp Co. (lace, bats)
Ink: Staz On - Jet Black; Ranger - Walnut Stain; Clear Snap - Gold
DP: Martha Stewart
Chipboard album pieces: Maya Road
Paint: Plaid - black acrylic
Adhesive: SA by 3L - 3D foam squares; Helmar 450 glue
Accessories: Stampendous clear EP; Petaloo flowers/leaves; Recollections - rhinestones; Ribbons - Morex Corp, Michael's, Maya Road, Jo-Ann Craft Essentials; Mod Podge; wire
Font: Chiller

18 comments:

  1. You already know I totally love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hells ya it's a throwdown and you threw it DOWN
    I am so in love with this project, it has everything I love, bats, some bling and a little franken-dude!! Total awesome-sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fabulous! It's great that you stepped out of your comfort zone and made a project that rocks! Your cracked glass and antiqued frame look amazing and who doesn't love bats and a Franken-dude?! It's very cool that you'll be doing more non-card projects with your stamps. I'm trying to do the same :) Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your working outside your comfort zone. The cracked glass is amazing.... good luck in the throwdown.
    BDx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fo fun and fab! I definitely think you should continue outside your comfort zone with great results like this. The cracked glass is just perfect and the whole project is wonderful. I love wall hangings. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, thinking of halloween makes me a little sick because I need some summer before I get some fall! BUT... this is a super cute creation, so fun to hang on the wall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im glad we pushed you out of your comfort zone ;) this is great, Ive not used that faux cracked glass technique yet but looks like it gives great results. love the shapes and composition x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am such a huge fan of Halloween, so this is right up my alley! Totally adorable and fun, and some great faux techniques, too. Isn't that cracked glass effect fun? Love that you can re-heat and start over if you don't like how it cracks the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project! Isn't cracked glass so fun and easy? Love Frankie and your sentiment. Best of luck in the Throw Down!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WoW - that cracked glass effect is fabulous. I will try that :-) Great little Frankie and such a fun project :-)
    IKE x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is brilliant very quirky cool and love the cracked glass on the image. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the faux cracked glass! Fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck in the challenge, awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool! I love the crackled glass!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fun project. I love the faux glass - it really adds to the spooky effect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the broekn glass effect is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is so fun! and the cracked glass is great

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! Great idea; I love the crackled glass. Congratulations on the Moxie Fab win :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading them!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.